Are you looking to really embrace the season with some festival fall activities? As the leaves turn golden and the air gets crisp, there’s no better time to indulge in some seasonal fun. From pumpkin carving to apple picking, there are plenty of ways to celebrate the harvest season in Kitchener-Waterloo.
Fall Events & Activities You Won’t Want To Miss
To help you make the most of the season, we’ve compiled a guide with seasonal activities in the area, fun projects you can do at home, and key event dates. Whatever your preference, there’s no shortage of ways to make the most of this time of year.
Seasonal Activities in Kitchener-Waterloo
There’s no shortage of things to do in the fall, but here’s a list of some local highlights that will help you make the most of the wonders of Autumn.
- Hike or bike on one of the many local trails to see nature’s art gallery a.k.a. the lovely fall foliage.
- Search for the perfect pumpkin at a local pumpkin patch. Here are some options in and around Waterloo Region:
- Benjamin Tree Farm – This farm features a 15,000-square-foot playground for the kids, plus a market and more. *New for 2023* is the Frightening Forest Tractor Ride!
- Snyder’s Farm – Pumpkins, campfires, baked goods & beyond. General admission includes: petting zoo, jumping pillow, jump pad, giant peddle cart track, private play ships, tree fort, hayride, haunted houses, corn maze & more!
- Fall Harvest Farm – A huge selection of pumpkins, gourds & more.
- Good Family Farm – They grow over 100 varieties of squash, pumpkins and gourds.
- Apple picking at Downey’s Apple Farm.
- Enjoy a 2-hour guided Country Tour by antique tractor and wagon through some of the region’s most beautiful farmland
- If you’re looking for something a little spookier, Bingeman’s Screampark has 6 terrifying haunted attractions.
- Visit one of the many local farmers markets for some seasonal treats.
- Visit a Fall Fair! Here’s a great list of Fall Fairs across Ontario, featuring Fairs in Cambridge, Fergus and London.
Indulge in harvest festivities this year. Here are a few dates you’ll want to add to your fall calendar.
- Wellesley Apple Butter & Cheese Festival | September 30. List of events & activities here.
- Thanksgiving Day Parade | October 9. See the route here
- Oktoberfest | September 25-October 11. From concerts to Festhallen celebrations, there’s a whole calendar of events! Opening Ceremony and Keg Tapping Ceremony takes place on October 6.
- St. Jacobs Pumpkin Parade | October 28. A great opportunity to wear costumes and get a free pumpkin. Details here.
Feeling Festive at Home
Embrace the cozy hygge vibes. Fall is an excellent season for creative crafts, cozy gatherings, and warm spiced treats. Here are some fun activities you can do at home!
- Pumpkin carving
- A cozy bonfire with friends
- Get creative and make your own Halloween costumes
- Hunt for the most beautiful leaves
- Bake an apple or pumpkin pie
- Try making your own hot spiced apple cider
- Make butternut squash soup
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt in the backyard
- Bob for apples
- Make candy or caramel apples
- Cozy up by the fireplace
- Stage your own family fall photo shoot
Looking for more Fall Fun outside of Kitchener-Waterloo?
Check out this blog for 10 Fantastic Fall Activities in Ontario