Waterloo Region is focused on the future. Its 2023-2027 Strategic Plan is designed to accommodate the region’s growth in the future. Titled Growing with Care, the plan’s focus is “supporting a long-term vision of a compassionate community that cares for all people, stewards the land for future generations and gives everyone the opportunity to live a good life”.
So what is Waterloo Region’s plan for 2024?
Let’s take a closer look at the 4 priority areas of the 2023-2027 Strategic Plan and budget and what is in store for 2024.
- Homes For All: We will invest in affordable homes and economic opportunity for all that are part of inclusive and environmentally sustainable communities.
- Climate Aligned Growth: As we grow, we will support a healthy environment where communities can thrive. Through intentional collaboration and creativity, we will support sustainable community growth.
- Equitable Services and Opportunities: Through collaboration and innovative design, we will provide equitable, accessible services across Waterloo Region that support the social determinants of health, safety and complete communities as we grow.
- Resilient and Future Ready Organization: The Region of Waterloo is a great place to work, where everyone is valued, feels they belong and where they have the supports and tools they need to do a great job. We will be prepared for the future by providing a safe space for bold ideas and experimentation, based on data and other ways of knowing.
Waterloo Region’s 2024 Budget
On December 13, 2023, the Budget Committee meeting and final budget approval took place. Here’s a summary of the approved budget in Waterloo Region.
- 6.9% tax increase in 2024
- Households will pay an average of $165 more per year
- That is equivalent to $13.76 per month
- $472 million for affordable housing, support for those experiencing homelessness, and investments to drive economic growth and opportunities
- $316 million for paramedic services, children’s services, seniors’ services, youth programs and the Food Bank of Waterloo Region
- $815 million for transit growth, safe water and waste management
- $125 million for modernizing data and technology, employee wellbeing and ensuring long-term financial sustainability
- $1.5 million in funding for the Food Bank of Waterloo Region (doubled from its previous funding of $744,000)
- $228 million to go to Waterloo Regional Police Services
–CTV News Kitchener
Interested in learning more about the Region of Waterloo Plan and Budget 2024?
Here are some helpful resources: