So you have your closing date and now it’s time to get ready for your move! This is such an exciting time, but you want to make sure you don’t leave things to the last minute.
Over the years we’ve seen a lot of moves. So here are a few tips to help you with the process.
- Start packing as soon as you can. Hopefully during the selling process, you started decluttering and getting in the mindset of packing. If you haven’t started, there’s no time like the present!
- Get lots of bins and boxes and mark them carefully. If you start packing and you come across items you don’t want, keep them together in a separate box so you can tend to them on another day. Marking your boxes from the beginning will allow you to delegate easily during the packing process and during the move.
- Get plastic sleeves from your dry cleaners for your good clothing. That way things won’t get too wrinkled during the move.
- Pack as much as you can in advance, especially items you know you won’t need between now and your move. Here’s a Countdown to Moving Day infographic with week-by-week reminders.
- Label clothing for seasons! Depending on when you move is, you might be packing in one season and moving in another. Pack like-clothing items together so you know exactly where your jackets, boots, bathing suits, and shorts are.
- It’s best to hire movers as soon as you know your closing date. Companies can get booked up, especially in the spring and summer months.
- Some downsizers hire help for the packing process so they don’t get stressed or overwhelmed packing up their home.
- Get rid of items you have no use for! If you don’t use it now, it’s best to donate it. There’s no need to pack and unpack something you’re just going to get rid of in a few months.
- Keep a folder of all your important moving papers, documents and contracts (anything to do with your move!) so you have a hard copy close by.
- Keep another secure folder (or envelope) with your important personal documents, i.e. passports.
- We set all our clients up with a handy app to make their move simple. It helps them plan to update their address, arrange moving help, manage utilities, plus lots of packing tips.
Is a move in your future? Talk to us about your real estate goals and how we can help.